Company Name __________________________ Job Name __________________________ Date________
ACTION TO TAKE IF AN EARTHQUAKE STRIKES
One of the greatest threats during an earthquake is falling debris.
Earthquakes are unpredictable and strike without warning. Therefore, it is
important to know the appropriate steps to take when one occurs, and to be so
thoroughly familiar with these steps, that you can react quickly and safely. If
you are in a commercial or residential building, remember the following
Steps to Take During An Earthquake:
- Remain inside the building.
- Seek immediate shelter under a heavy desk or table--or brace yourself inside
a door frame or against an inside wall.
- Stay clear of windows--at least 15 feet away.
- Stay put. If shaking causes the desk or table to move, be sure to move with
- Resist the urge to panic. Organize your thoughts. Think as clearly as
possible, and anticipate the sights and sounds that may accompany an earthquake.
- - Don't be surprised if the electricity goes out, fire or elevator alarms
begin ringing, or
- the sprinkler system
- is activated.
- Expect to hear noise from broken glass, creaking walls, and falling
Steps To Take Immediately After An Earthquake:
- Remain in the same "safe" location for several minutes after the
earthquake, in case of aftershocks.
- Do not attempt to evacuate or leave your immediate area unless absolutely
necessary or when instructed to do so by a proper authority.
- Check for injuries and administer necessary first aid. Recognize and assist
co-workers who are suffering from shock or emotional distress.
- Implement your survival plan. Establish a temporary shelter if rescue teams
are expected to be delayed.
- Use a stairway when instructed to exit building.
Steps to Take Before An Earthquake:
- Prepare an earthquake kit, with warm clothing, food and water to last at
least 72 hours.
- Organize a planning session to be conducted by your local emergency response
Job Specific Topics:_______________________________________________________________________________________