For Employees do you:
- Enforce the use of safety shoes and hard hats?
- Have employees work in pairs for immediate assistance in case of trouble?
For Pre-Job do you:
- Consult utilities before digging? Pre-mark all utility lines?
- Conduct pre- and post-excavation topographical reviews for drainage
- Inspect foundations/structures in the vicinity and record/photograph
- Consider jobsite/storage area potential for flashflood, earthquake, or
For Operations do you:
- Keep power equipment away from overhead wires?
- Barricade all excavations?
- Pile excavated material a safe distance from the trench's edge?
- Use proper sloping techniques or appropriate retention systems?
- Wet and tamp down backfill material to control settling/compaction?
- Remove dirt and debris from streets/sidewalks to help prevent public
- Use and maintain handrails, grips, safety lines or belts?
- Have accessible exit/entry (ladders, etc.) within 25 feet from any worker?
- Arrange site for easy access/safe maneuvering of vehicles, equipment and
- Illuminate the jobsite?
- Control dust by periodic watering or use of calcium chloride?
- WHEN BLASTING, DO YOU:
- Use only licensed blasters?
- Perform pre-blast surveys?
- Train employees in proper handling and storage of
- Remove from the job site or secure blasting materials
- Keep an accurate inventory of caps, dynamite, and other
For Equipment do you:
- Follow DOT regulations for oversized/overweight loads? Properly
- Operate vehicles/equipment a safe distance from excavation to help avoid
- Equip bulldozers and loaders with rollover protection and overhead
- Provide equipment with automatic audible back up alarms?
- Fence, light, and lock equipment storage locations?
- Use anti-theft/vandalism devices such as ignition lock boxes/automatic
- Ground portable electric power generators if over 5 KW?
- Vent fuel-powered generating equipment into open air?