IRON AND STEEL CONTRACTORS
For Employees do you:
- Enforce the use of safety lines/harnesses/etc?
- Enforce the use of safety shoes, hard hats and eye protection?
For Pre-Job do you:
- Inspect raw materials upon arrival at the job site?
For Operations do you:
- Use safety nets and/or temporary flooring to minimize falls?
- Keep power equipment, i.e. booms, away from overhead wires?
- Use and maintain handrails/grips?
- Arrange site for easy access/safe maneuvering of vehicles, equipment, and
- Properly brace all components installed each day?
- Closely control all flammable and combustible liquids?
- Store bulk quantities of flammable/combustible liquids outside the
- Limit quantities of flammable/combustible liquids in use to a one-day
- Take reasonable precautions/efforts to help isolate/control spraying
- Restrict smoking to designated safe areas?
- WHEN WELDING, DO YOU:
- Use torches/other hazardous operation only in areas made fire safe?
- Keep all torches attended?
- Use fireproof mats, fire extinguishers, and watch person(s)?
For Equipment do you:
- Check routes for adequate clearance/weight limits prior to transporting
- Properly erect/level/anchor/use permanent scaffolding?
- Properly secure loads? Flag or escort oversized loads ahead and
- Remove keys from equipment when not in use?
- Use anti-theft/vandalism devices such as ignition locks/automatic fuel
- Ground portable electric power generators if over 5 KW?
- Provide equipment with automatic audible back up alarms?
- WHEN USING CRANES, DO YOU:
- Have proper controls in place during the set-up and take down of cranes?
- Keep cranes in good condition?
- Review the crane's preventative maintenance records and program?
- Use an appropriate method of communication between crane operators and
- Use only experienced operators? Provide close
- Confirm that customers renting your cranes have qualified personnel to