For Employees do you:
- Enforce the use of gloves, safety shoes, hard hats, respirators and eye
- Train workers in proper lifting techniques? Provide material
- Require the use of safety harnesses/lanyards for above ground work?
For Pre-Job do you:
- Locate and mark utility lines/electrical equipment prior to starting work?
- Conduct a thorough study to ensure structural integrity?
For Operations do you:
- Restrict the public from work areas by using warning signs, lines, and
- Secure material and equipment, especially on windy days?
- Adequately brace and secure masonry during erection?
- Use only materials meeting specifications and building codes?
- Perform proper testing of all concrete mixtures?
- Follow specifications for cold-weather masonry construction and quality
- Mix concrete and mortar outside when possible? Ensure proper
- Store bagged cement and lime in temperature and humidity controlled areas?
- Store fuel in tanks or cylinders conforming to NFPA standards?
- Properly maintain and inspect fire extinguishers? Mount in
- Test fireplaces to ensure proper functioning and that flashing is properly
- FOR TILE AND MARBLE INSTALLATION, DO YOU:
- Restrict access to tile/marble cutting areas? Use a wet saw to cut
marble or stone?
- Rope off areas below stonework to restrict access to other tradesmen and
- Use corrosion resistant metal ties?
- Ensure good mortar joints to prevent water entering behind the stone?
- Inspect stone at the site for cracks and natural flaws which may cause
- FOR SCAFFOLDING, DO YOU:
- Follow proper anchoring procedures?
- Use planking above sidewalks to protect public from dropped objects?
- Enforce strict regulations against loose items on upper levels?
- Follow manufacturer'/suppliers' recommendations for scaffolding use?
- Use adjusting screws instead of blocking for scaffolds on uneven grades?
- Regularly inspect/maintain scaffolding, ladders, hoists, and ropes?
For Equipment do you:
- Ground portable electric power generators if over 5 KW?
- Vent fuel-powered generating equipment into open air?
- Ensure portable heating devices are equipped with automatic shutoffs?
- Render machinery inoperative at night?