SEWER AND WATER
For Employees do you:
- Enforce the use of safety shoes, hard hats, hearing protection, gloves,
and eye protection?
- Have employees work in pairs? Post an observer at the top of the
- Provide traffic control training? Dress signalers in bright,
- Train workers in laser use? Ensure that laser equipment is properly
For Pre-Job do you:
- Consult utilities before digging? Pre-mark all utility lines?
- Conduct pre- and post-excavation topographical reviews for drainage
- Inspect foundations/structures in the vicinity and record/photograph
For Operations do you:
- Keep equipment away from overhead wires?
- Pile excavated material a safe distance from the trench's edge?
- Use proper sloping techniques or appropriate retention systems?
- Remove dirt and debris from streets/sidewalks to help prevent public
- Barricade all excavations? Cover trenches at night? Detour
- Have accessible entry/exit (ladders, etc. ) within 25 feet from any
- Control dust, fumes, and vapors? Burn brush in controlled areas?
- Use signalers when dump trucks are discharging their loads?
- Advise fire department of chemicals, combustibles, and blasting materials?
- Test water lines for leaking joints, rate of flow, etc.?
- WHEN BLASTING, DO YOU:
- Use licensed blasters? Train workers in proper explosives
- Secure/remove blasting materials from jobsite daily? Keep accurate
- WHEN WELDING, DO YOU:
- Keep torches attended? Use fireproof mats, fire extinguishers and
- Restrict welding near flammables or before lines are properly purged?
- Use approved oxygen, acetylene and LPG cylinders? Secured/stored
For Equipment do you:
- Operate equipment a safe distance from excavation to help avoid collapse?
- Equip bulldozers and loaders with rollover protection and overhead
- Provide equipment with automatic audible back up alarms?
- Ground portable electric power generators if over 5 KW?