STREET AND ROAD
For Employees do you:
- Enforce the use of respirators, hearing protection , safety shoes, hard
hats, and eye protection?
- Train employees (including seasonal) in traffic control and equipment
- Provide bright, reflective and conspicuous clothing for flagmen?
- Supply adequate amounts of clearly labeled drinking water?
For Pre-Job do you:
- Consult utilities before digging to locate pipes and lines? Pre-mark
all utility lines?
- Conduct pre- and post-excavation topographical reviews for drainage
- Perform pre-construction surveys? Use only licensed blasters?
For Operations do you:
- Barricade all excavations? Fence quarries? Cover or guard
- Arrange site for easy access/safe maneuvering for vehicles, equipment and
- Control dust by periodic watering?
- Use barricades/flag people/warning signs to help protect
- Remove dirt and debris from streets/sidewalks to help prevent public
- Regularly test asphalt mix for conformance to specifications?
- Take safety precautions for underground power lines?
- Slop stockpiles of aggregate to help prevent sliding? Wet aggregate
to limit dust?
- Test noise levels to ensure requirements are met?
- Store flammable liquids in fire safe containers?
- Use fire resistive tarpaulins to control heat/material loss during
transport of asphalt?
- Adequately vent shop area to help remove dusts/fumes/gases?
- Use signalers when dump trucks are discharging their loads?
- Maintain adequate spacing/properly vent tanks storing
- Use DOT approved liquid petroleum gas systems?
- Advise the fire department of chemicals, combustibles, and blasting
- Keep pavers/distributors attended? Provide distributors with a 500
- Cut or remove weeds and brush in close proximity?
- Enforce "No Smoking" rules and control sources of ignition near
For Equipment do you:
- Equip bulldozers and loaders with rollover protection/overhead canopies?
- Provide equipment with automatic audible back up alarms?
- Equip rollers with a swivel seat/extra seat facing backward, a guard and
- Ground portable electric power generators over 5 KW?
- Vent fuel-powered generating equipment into open air?
- Require proper loading securing, unloading techniques?
- Require your equipment to carry appropriate vehicle markings?