Company Name __________________________ Job Name __________________________ Date________
CONSTRUCTION FALL PROTECTION QUIZ
1. Posts for wood, pipe, or structural steel guardrails shall be spaced no more than _ _ _ feet apart on centers.
(a) 6 (b) 8 (c) 10 (d) 12
2. The top edge of upper railings or equivalent guardrail system members, shall measure _ _ _ inches, plus or
minus three inches, above the walking/working level.
(a) 36 (b) 39 (c) 42 (d) 45
3. Federal OSHA requires that each employee on a walking/working surface with an unprotected edge, which is
_ _ _ feet or more above a lower level, shall be protected from falling by the use of guardrail systems, safety net
systems, or a personal fall arrest system.
(a) 4 (b) 6 (c) 8 (d) 10
4. Anchorages used for attachment of personal fall arrest equipment shall be capable of supporting at least _ _ _
pounds per employee attached, or the system shall be designed, installed and used under the supervision of a
qualified person, as part of a complete personal fall arrest system, maintaining a minimal safety factor of at least
(a) 310 (b) 3600 (c) 5000 (d) 6000
5. When using a body belt or body harness as part of a positioning device system, the system must be set up so that
a worker can free fall no more than _ _ _ feet.
(a) 2 (b) 3 (c) 4 (d) 5
6. Personal fall arrest systems, when stopping a fall, shall be rigged such that an employee can neither free fall more
than _ _ _ feet, nor contact any lower level.
(a) 2 feet (b) 4 feet (c) 6 feet. (d) 8 feet
7. A "hole" is defined as a gap or void _ _ _ inches or more in its least dimension, in a floor, roof, or other
(a) 2 (b) 4 (c) 6 (d) 8
8. Which of the following methods is not allowed as fall protection for a "hole?"
(a) guardrail system (b) cover
(c) personal fall arrest system (d) warning line system
9. Under Fed-OSHA, if an employer can demonstrate that the use of a conventional fall protection system is
infeasible or would create a greater hazard, then a written fall protection plan, outlining alternative protective
measures, is allowed. This type of plan is allowed for which type(s) of work?
(a) leading edges (b) precast concrete erection
(c) residential construction (d) all of the above
Answers: 1. (b) 2. (c) 3. (b) 4. (c) 5. (a) 6. (c) 7. (a) 8. (d) 9. (d)
Job Specific Topics:_______________________________________________________________________________________