For Employees do you:
- Require the use of eye protection for scraping or chipping?
- Require use of safety harnesses/lanyards for work at high elevations?
For Operations do you:
- Take precautions to help protect the public from physical harm or property
- Provide barricades, covers or equivalent protection for all open areas?
- Take proper safeguards for confined space entry? Use the buddy system?
- Ensure proper ventilation in interior work areas?
- Assign only experienced workers to abrasive blasting or spray painting
- Determine wind direction/velocity prior to stripping or spraying operations?
- Prohibit exterior spraying or abrasive blasting on windy days?
- Mix paints with a paddle or mechanical device rather than with hands?
- Use forced ventilation where natural ventilation is inadequate?
- Continuously inspect surfaces for charring during/after burning of paint?
- Use blowtorches only in areas made fire safe? Never leave torches
- Ensure fire extinguishers are accessible and clearly marked?
- Prohibit smoking, open flames and spark-producing equipment near
- Closely control all flammable liquids (paints, solvents), and rags?
Limit inside use to one shift supply.
- FOR SCAFFOLDING, DO YOU:
- Follow proper anchoring procedures?
- Use planking above sidewalks to protect public from dropped objects?
- Enforce strict regulations against loose items on upper levels?
- Follow manufacturer'/suppliers' recommendations for scaffolding use?
- Use adjusting screws instead of blocking for scaffolds on uneven grades?
- Regularly inspect/maintain scaffolding, ladders, hoists, and ropes?
For Equipment do you:
- Regularly inspect, adjust, and clean UL approved gas/kerosene/oil space
- Use only liquid-fired heaters equipped with a safety fuel shut-off device?
- Provide dollies or other conveyances for manual transport of heavy
- Inspect and clean tools and equipment prior to returning them to stock?
- Inspect safety valves/pressure gages/air hoses on compressed air systems?
- Equip all blasters and spraying apparatus with dead man control valves?
- Vent fuel-powered generating equipment into open air?
- Properly guard and ground electrical tools?
- Have vehicles specially outfitted to carry and secure equipment and